Summer Educator Retreat
Registration is now closed for the 2018 Retreat, but don’t worry! We’ll be back for July 2019. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the 2018 waiting list.
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology will open its doors to educators from around the US and beyond for four action-packed days, July 18-21. Through fun activities and lively presentations, you’ll gain new ideas, innovative resources, and a fresh perspective.
This year we’re focusing on using citizen science and inquiry in the classroom. The retreat includes presentations from Cornell Lab experts, behind-the-scenes tours, and bird walks within Sapsucker Woods Bird Sanctuary and beyond. In addition to innovative science learning ideas, everyone will walk away with two of the best BirdSleuth curricular kits and a pair of high-quality Celestron® binoculars.
You’ll learn about citizen science, inquiry-based projects, Lab resources, and BirdSleuth curricula through hands-on activities, guest presentations, and breakout sessions. K-12 classroom teachers and out-of-school educators – you’ll leave with the confidence to implement citizen science and inquiry with your students right away. You’ll also gain networking contacts to keep you in touch with each other and the Lab for years to come.
Good work should never go unrewarded, right? Though this retreat is an intense professional development experience, there will also be time to relax, enjoy great food, and explore the Finger Lakes region. You’ll learn what we mean when we say, “Ithaca is Gorges.”
We hope to see you at the BirdSleuth Summer Retreat! Space is limited – learn more and review the details and logistics here.
Past Retreat participants say…
- “This was fantastic!”
- “It was great! So exciting to spend the time with kindred spirits.”
- “The highlight was releasing the goldfinch from banding. It is so cool to hold the bird and let it go!”
- “I was excited about a future as an educator, but this experience has taken that to a whole new level. This is the best experience I could have asked for!”
- “Very well organized. To make a multi-day program seem so effortless takes a lot of work.”
- “It was great learning more about Cornell Lab resources and experts and how they can be leveraged to enhance our education program.”